Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Sunday, August 03, 2008



Time to Walk the Walk

I have learned much since my "rebirth" in 2001, tackling a number of challenges with childlike enthusiasm and confidence. From Mexico to India to Europe, from network administrator to waitress to Congressional representative to ESL Teacher. More than once during this wild ride I have crash-burned.

All of my adventures came with price tags. Some were relatively easy to pay (like learning to live with bugs and dirt), but others exacted a much higher toll. Adapting to life in D.C. was like adapting to a toxic oil spill in my mind and soul. It challenged my very will to survive.

Rishikesh was my daycare, the hard-earned reward for my time served in D.C. In my simple ashram in Rishikesh, I had teachers and fellow students around me at all times. We shared activities (Ganga swimming, chai shop singing, yogasana and other studies), took thali together and had regulated sleeping times (curfew at 10!).

But the time came for me to return to Anaheim and reconnect with family and home. I became aware of a need to settle down. And this, my friends, is the frightening new plateau in my journey.

Perhaps the biggest challenge yet sits just before me now. Responsibility is the word of the day, the month, the life. Along with increased awareness comes increased responsibility. I have learned so much in the last years and now is the time to integrate what I know. In other words, it's time to walk the walk.

Indeed, my fear is greater now than I have ever felt it before. But strength and courage is not the absence of fear, it's the mastery of fear. Never can nor will my fear keep me from forging ahead in my quest for a quality life.


Miscellaneous Learnings and Other Signs of Progress:

Three days of cold nepali-style bathing seriously revived my appreciation for the little things (let's hear it for hot water! Yeah!!!)...


I realized that I almost never feel the urge to steal toilet paper in public places anymore...

I have new awareness about bicycles and busses, and how sometimes busses can be dangerous...

I'm a substitute English teacher every day for the next two weeks!...

I am proud to announce the continued existence of a bright, kinky silver hair emerging directly from the top of my head...and...

I am officially not complaining about the weather.

All my love and good vibrations are coming your way...can you feel it?!
hanging in for the ride,
LMA

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Definitely you have good vibrations because I feel it from Moscow! OM

13:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are strong and yes I'm feeling it!
Patty V.

15:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your smile will open every door in this world! I'm sure!

17:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home