Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Monday, July 07, 2008

Everybody Get Ready for the Caravan of Love!


"The fear of death follows from the fear of life.  A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."   - Mark Twain




Today's installment of Lola Bites Back is filled with plenty of inspirational tidbits, so everybody get ready!

It's another Monday, another beautiful morning in Montreal, another chance to seize the day.  The adventure that is my life continues unabated.  Still homeless and jobless, I should be scraping the bottom of the barrel, no?  But exuberance is a powerful force...


I simply cannot stop appreciating the open, non-judgmental, multicultural, peaceful environment here.  I have my own bicycle now, which I use to transport myself all over the city.  From the Grand Bibliotheque, to the Parc La Fontaine, to the chic neighborhood called Mile End and the Gay Village, me and my wheels are unstoppable!


Free, free, freedom!  I coast the bike paths with a smile and a song.  What's not to love?  I listen to the complaints of others with half-hearted concern; there's too much racism here?  Racism is everywhere.  The government is taking advantage of you?  Try living in the Congo.  


Why do we waste our breath on such immutables when we could be celebrating great friendships, sharing in culinary delights and a bottle of wine, or just reeling in the vast array of opportunities life has to offer?  I know my words are annoying for some, but attitude shapes experience.  If your experience is not what you want it to be, well, you know what the problem might be?


Stop poisoning your life and start counting your blessings!  I am here to prove that yes, you can dig yourself out of that hole.  It's no small feat, but it's definitely not impossible.  And God does indeed help those who help themselves.


La la la, blah blah blah.  I could go on but I'm even beginning to annoy myself.  Seems more difficult to throw the G-word around here in the west, but I have no doubt that God, The Universe, Mother Nature, or That Which Cannot Be Named plays the lead role in my life.


Life is a divine play, and we are all the actors.  If you can embrace this philosophy, you understand the highest teaching in Vedic tradition known as Vedanta.  At each and every moment we have the opportunity to choose our actions, our reactions and our attitudes.  Let's have fun with it!  A simple smile goes a long way, and you never know what treasure awaits you at the next turn.  What if your eyes are closed and you miss it?


Darkness is part of the light.  The depths of despair make possible the heights of love and appreciation.


Black Fly season fast approaches - I call it a plague but others have taken issue with that characterization.  Now, I won't go so far as to say I appreciate black flies, but when they are here, I assure you I will be appreciating the relative lack of black flies in Sunny San Diego, a place I lived for many years.  I couldn't appreciate it then, but I definitely do now!


Western therapy is no easy hurdle.  I'm not sure my new therapist is "the one" (You are GREATLY missed, Jenny!!), but I don't see any harm in continuing to see him at the moment.  I'm sure I've got all the pieces, its just a matter of putting them in the right order.  The day will come, I am sure, when someone finally says the magic words and  - click! - things will finally fall into place.  I'm just so close...


Eastern therapy is another beast entirely.  I look forward to the day when I can return to Rishikesh and continue my practice of meditation under Swamiji's guidance.  Swamiji has been and continues to be a huge signpost in my desert; his words ringing always in my ears:


"Wanting to be loved is the greatest sickness.  Learn to love yourself."


Yes.  Learn to love myself.  Loving myself means sleeping at a humane hour, stretching the tensions out of my body in the morning, eating healthy foods, keeping active, surrounding myself with positive peoples.  Love can be found in the little things.  We should not wait to start loving ourselves more.


The gritty update: That thing growing on my eye has reared it's ugly head once again, the corner of my mouth has cracked open, I slid off the bicycle in my first crash the other day and am covered in hideous scratches and bruises, BUT - are you ready for the silver lining? - my giardia has gone into remission!  Whoo hoo!


What else?  Oh, yes; I am going to a concert tonight!  Calexico is coming to town and I have never had the opportunity to see them live.  Part of me wonders what right I have to treat myself to a concert when I have no gainful employment, but then the other part says carpe diem!   We only live once, and tix were cheap :).


And one last note for the most important relationship in my life (you know who you are):  I love your style, your humour, your wit and quirky observations (worried about the anonymity of a lizard?!).  We belong together and together we are stronger than everything and everyone else!  I love you more than words can express and I simply refuse to let anything or anyone sabotage our bond.  There is no going back now..


Thank you to all, and especially my invaluable teachers Jenny, Swamiji and George.  You have and continue to inspire me at each and every turn.



As always,

with greatest affection,

Lola Maria


PS  One more thank you to my mama for tolerating my silliness with good humour!  I love you!


PPS I forgot to mention that I do actually have some gainful employment; I'm cleaning houses..and tomorrow I finally head out to the suburbs for my first painting contract.  If I have any skill, I may be hired again, so wish me luck..!


Here's to good, honest, hard labor!







1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You continue to inspire me into becoming more, dream more and to see the real joy life can offer if we only seek it. Thank you my little cricket..

11:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home