Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Sunday, March 23, 2008




Happy Holi!!!!



I am aware I have neglected this blahg. There is much to share, but where to start? Time here has no beginning and no end; it is simultaneously stretched and squeezed to the limit. The day has suddenly disappeared, but last week feels like last month. In addition, my brain is not processing words like I was once so well-trained to do. Please excuse.






Although every single day is special, today is an especially special day. In fact this entire week is a powerfully spiritual week, filled with significant holidays and celebrations for many of the world's major religions. Coincidence? I think not.






We recognized Good Friday, a traditionally somber occasion, by abstaining from milk (and of course meat, but there is no meat in Rishikesh as it's a holy place) and remembering the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.






Then Saturday was 1) the Full Moon, 2) the Equinox (12 hours daylight and 12 hours night time), and 3) one of Mother India's biggest holiday celebrations; Holi Day! Holi Day is best described as complete madness; Indians and foreigners alike run around like crazed maniacs throwing and smearing bright paint colours on each other. We're talking highly toxic neon powders and liquids in red, orange, yellow, green, purple and fuscia. What's not to love? Children stand on the roof and target those in the streets with buckets of coloured water, screaming, 'Happy Holi! while others ambush you in the streets. Cows and dogs are not spared. I had the opportunity to experience Holi two times in the past, choosing instead to hole up in my ashram. But this year I was finally ready to go for it, after all, it's one of those things everyone should try at least once in their lives, yes? A few pics are included to give you an idea of just how Holi this Holi Day is.






Now it's Sunday, El Dia de la Pascua; a.k.a. Easter! In contrast to Friday, today is a reason for real celebration, as "Jesus is Risen!" is a message of hope and joy. And even if you aren't a religious fanatic like me, you can still find something to appreciate in the story of the resurrection of Christ.






For me, I am hopeful for the future, specifically with regard to my family. We currently face a challenge that none of us could have imagined, but we have come together in love and faith and we are strong. As it's written in the New Testament and as my own experience has taught me, if your faith is strong, "nothing will be impossible for you" (Matther 17:20). Indeed, God is with us every step of the way.






Finally, I have included a few pictures for your viewing pleasure. Don't forget that even though I am far away, you are each of you permanently placed in the depths of my soul. My heart swells with appreciation for your remarkable endurance, love and support. May peace be with you all on this auspicious occasion,






your devoted ambassador in training,



LMA






Holi Madness!


Atsushi, me, Babaji, and one Unnamed Russian

Coloured people!


Holy Ganga Bath is an essential daily ritual here in Rishikesh.


Swami Ramanandaji - 84 years old and a.k.a. "funny baba" - is our chosen guru. He gives us HI-larious lessons in yogasana, pranayama and meditation and then force-feeds us mass amounts of prasad (holy food offering, usually intense Indian sweets).



Holy Mother Ganga, with Ram Jhulla Bridge in background.

Nightly chai shop concerts with devotional songs (barjan and mantras) and some popular songs as well. Here is me with Babaji, one of our favorite baba companions.






4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

these, pictures look so cool! especially the ones for Holi Day...that must've been exciting to be a part of.
i heard about your dad and i am sorry. we are all praying for him.

love
sarabelle

23:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please fill us in on your Dad-

15:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your concern about Dana's dad, Vic. I have an update, having just spoken with him tonite, (3/27). He has been diagnosed with a cancer of the plasma. And this explains why he has generally felt crummy for some time. Although he is in more than an initial stage of the disease, his doctors are very optimistic that he will be in remission soon. This is a cancer that can be successfully treated and, although not cureable (yet), it can be successfully treated and kept in remission. Vic is very physically fit, so circumstances argue for a good outcome. He has begun chemotherapy and is thankfully experiencing few side effects. He is, however, looking forward to a new, (and much shorter) hair-do. Already, Vic is feeling better and stronger after only 2 weeks on treatment. Vic's attitude is, and always has been, positive. He prays that God's will will be done in his life and in the lives of his children. I am inspired and encouraged by the way Vic is handling this new challenge. Dana and her brother, Tony, have been truly blessed with such a faith-filled and loving man as their father.
Thank you for your prayers for Vic and those who love him.
- Dana's Mom, "Mama Bear," Kim, or Melinda (depending on how you know me)

00:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dana, after hearing so much about your blog I finally have the opportunity to see and read it. I have to say I agree with my sister, your pitures look fantastic. I can only imagine what it must be like to take part in such an amazing experience. I am glad to hear that things are going well for you and that you continue on your spirtual journey. You have always been an inspiration to me and I only hope that one day I will have the strength and courage to embark on journey like yours.

- Cristina

02:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home