Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Monday, February 18, 2008

Still Spinning in Rishikesh Wonderland

One thing I cannot stress enough is that I always have what I need. That is, when looking back over the last 30 years, I can see that I never didn't have what I needed. And, if I wanted something that I didn't get, it's because I didn't need it. It's all so very simple really. I lack nothing - absolutely nothing - and each new blessing that comes into my life is pure abundance. I have relatively few possessions and yet, I am quite spoiled..


A simple example: just yesterday one friend made tea for me, but not just any tea...Jasmine Tea. How long has it been since I sipped the sweet, fragrant jasmine flower?? I don't recall, but I do know that I was positively giddy with excitment and anticipation for... tea. A simple pleasure transformed into an exciting luxury. I have moments like this almost continually.

This morning I finally shifted rooms at the ashram and now I am settled back into my old cage from last year. It's freshly painted and the nearly 30 years-old painting of Lord Shiva and Parvati still graces my bedroom wall. It feels good to be back, though I'm secretly hoping there won't be quite as many creatures sharing my room this year. The frogs, geckoes, cats and even the preying mantis are welcome back, but I feel no love for the cockroach.

Especially as this time around I have graduated to cooking my very own food again! No more restaurants! Just a big fat bowl of spinach with mushrooms, green onion, sesame seeds and soya sauce (special!), a dish I have craved since I arrived last year. I can assure you it was well worth the wait.

In other developments, I read my very first word in Sanskrit just a few days ago! Learning to read and write in Sanskrit is like being five years old all over again. I just happened to be practicing one character in particular - "ra" - when I noticed it written on the side of a building. "Ra, ra, ra-m!" Lord Rama's name was my first word! I'm taking it as a positive omen for my future study.

Stranger still, I have lately taken up Bible Study. It began as a method to teach English; my "student" - an avid Bible scholar - reads to me from the Bible and I correct his English. But then it became apparent that I have little or no familiarity with or understanding of The Bible, and, as is my nature, I started to ask questions. Voila! Bible Study. It occurred to me that in the past I briefly studied parts of the Talmud (Jewish), the Koran (Muslim) and the Vedas (Hindu), but what happened to my education in The New Testament? Is not a large portion of my family Christian?

And, just in case you were thinking that life in Rishikesh is all spiritual bliss and contentment, last week I was in Rishikesh market to buy vegetables when an unnamed Indian pig-of-a-male manhandled my breasts. Well, it's been a year now and I simply will no longer tolerate this kind of treatment. I immediately went after him - screaming - threw his shoulder back and smacked him in the face. He just slithered away and disappeared into the crowd, but my heart was pounding and I was sweating and angry. And I had been in such a happy mood just moments before! Some people applauded my aggression but the truth is I did not feel like a winner. I think I will refine my strategy a bit and the next time a pig-man touches me I will hit him with my shoes. It is unspeakably offensive in Indian culture and I really want to get them where it hurts...

Next time I'll have to share my adventures with the police in Laxman Jhulla..heh heh heh..

Must head off to my next engagement - yogasana - followed by dinner, barjan (devotional singing) and, yes, another attempt at the Mother of all spiritual practice: meditiation.

Big love and kisses and hugs for my loved ones,
always,
LMA

PS: SARABELLA! So sweet to have a note from you on the blahg! Get my mama to send me your email, or to send you mine..

PPS: Pictures are forthcoming...really and truly!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alllll right little cricket!!!...I am so proud of you for screaming at the PIG. Next time give him your shoe.
You will love the bible. There are many stories in the old testament that I refer to when I need to encourage my clients. When I need to encourage myself I remember the new testament and the words of Jesus.
How exciting it must be to learn all those languages and spiritual lessons. I love you deeply little cricket.

11:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home