Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Urine Therapy is for Everyone!



Gokarna has a wonderful feel to it and it's the first time I feel no antagonism or cynicism that poisons so many incredible places on the tourist circuit. It's a small dusty town that looks to me like it could be a film set for an old western. There is a nice mix of western tourists (hedonistic beach bums, yoga people, western babas, Indian babas, Indian pilgrims, Indian tourists) and local peoples, who are mostly Brahmins - the highest caste in India and the caste of the priests. The feeling here is one of peaceful coexistence. Even the ocassionally overzealous rickshaw walla can't spoil it.

I have everything I need here. A holy water spring, a room near the ocean for 50 rupees a night and plenty of delicious Indian food: 25 rupees for the best thali I ever had and 12 rupees for the best masala dosa. What more could I possibly need?

The Arabian Sea is another wonder to behold. While it's true that God is in all things, it is especially true (for me at least) for vast bodies of water, so the awe-inspiring view of the coastline from the rocky cliffsides comes as no surprise. Yesterday I sat on the cliffs and chanted mantra as the sun set and the wind grew. Not one person crossed my path in the two hours I was there. It was like another small rebirth for my soul; a reminder that I carry God within me at all times and that even though I may veer off the path at times, the path can never be lost.

Fred has gone to Bangalore to catch his flight home on Monday and for the next few days at least, I am once again alone. We had a great trip, from Mysore to Bangalore to Hampi and finally Gokarna; it was one month but it felt like much less. But I admit it feels good to be on my own again, free to follow my intuition, practice silence and challenge myself in the creatively painful ways I love.

The hillsides that form the cliffs over the water are my favorite vista here so far. The cliffs seem to be made of black volcanic rock, mixed with red soil and bright golden yellow grass blowing in the breeze and I feel a bit like Julie Andrews to roam around them. Yesterday we visited the local baba who lives in a cave marked by a small white flag on the hillside. He examined me (squeezing my hands and wrists, checking my tounge, ears and feet) and told me there was "no power." He told me to eat vitamins, chant mantra, and - perhaps most important - to wash myself. He then performed a puja for me, wrapping a blue yarn and orange thread intricately around my left wrist while chanting mantra. It was an intense environment and everyone felt the need to keep silent. After my examination I had to leave the cave for a few moments for some air.

I have found here a connection back to my days in Rishikesh. I am feeling much more aware of my health (and lack of it) and the need to take better, more regimented care of my body. Each time I meet a holy person and each time I have an examination, I am told by the practicioner that I that I lack strength. In addition to this, I feel the truth of this intuitively. I also know what I can do to change it, but the healing process will take time and patience and apparently I have not yet evolved enough to accept the challenge directly...

That's why God sends me people like Carlos, my neighbor and the soul who first welcomed me to Gokarna. Yesterday I asked him to recommend me a doctor - as my eye infection has not gone away and it's been more than a month and my eyelashes have fallen out and I'm getting a bit impatient with the whole thing - but he suggested I apply urine instead. Now, I already know that your own personal urine is a wonder drug, and it's the destiny of us all to begin using it for its curative properties. You don't have to agree with me, but someday everyone will appreciate the restorative powers of urine. I have known about this for some time but have ignored it for obvious reasons. Urine is stinky and I don't want to drink it or apply it to my skin any more than you do. But I've also known that the day would come when I would have to get over my revolsion, and that day has arrived.

One thing I can say about urine therapy is that it gets you to pay close attention to what you are eating and drinking. A well-hydrated body eating a balanced mix of fresh foods will have pleasant urine. If you are drinking your urine or applying it to your eyes or skin, this will become important to you and you will want to drink another glass (or six or seven) of water each day. Mmmmm..water. Convential wisdom (among natural health practicioners at least) is to cut out dairy and eggs as well as sugar and coffee or tea. No problem, eh?

Speaking of water..did I mention the soft, warm, gloriously salty sea water? It's like a giant bathtub - God's bathtub - where you can float effortlessly for hours disinfecting yourself of toxic western mind programming. God is Great indeed.

Working out the karma, step by step

The other day Fred and I set out to walk the three or maybe four kilometers to town along the beach. Just after we set out, my chapal broke (flip flops I bought in 1997) and I found it my own personal karma to have to walk without them along the volcanic rocks. It was real pain, but there was nothing to be done, so I just tried to tune it out. Toward the end of the hour long walk I was getting anxious to have my chapal fixed. Yes, anxious. The next days I limped while my foot healed up a bit. I think it was an important experience for me and I'm glad it happened, though I can't say much more about it.

Tomorrow I am planning a liver flush. It will require a modified diet (no fat) with no food or water after 2. then a series of salt water drinks followed by a half cup of olive oil and immediate sleep. The salt opens up the channels running through the liver and the oil eases out the small stones that block them. Next morning I will examine my loose stools and count the stones. They come in five colours. I am hoping to pass at least seven.

Okay, enough blahhhhh for now...there's a glorious beach and sunset to behold and I still need to fill up at the holy spring (a hippo's head) before I settle in with my flute!

Before I sign out, I must say happy Birthday to my favorite nephew! I look forward to the day when I can get to know him. In the meantime, here's to a wonderful holiday season! A time to remember and appreciate the family and friends we are blessed with.
Thank you and God bless you all,
until next time,
LMA

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"..as my eye infection has not gone away and it's been more than a month and my eyelashes have fallen out and I'm getting a bit impatient with the whole thing."

!!

Only you could deliver such a normally alarming revelation such as 'my eyelashes are falling out' with all of the subtlety and slight annoyance of, say, going to the store and finding they were out of your favorite kid of soy milk. HA ha ha!

Srsly though.. take care of that. Somehow.

Speaking of urine, I really love asparagus... but why does my pee have to smell so weird after I eat it? Ask the yogi if he knows. Wait... is there even asparagus in India?

Lots of Love and Hope-
Vince

12:39  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am with Vince on his comments...falling eyelashes is something that needs concern and care.

Your adventures are simply amazing. The way you write places me in the very center of where you are. Your spiritual awakings are deep and will be with you always.

Please take care of your health, we have always been kind of fragile. I am with you always...
Gma

20:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eyelashes falling out? Wow, I thought I had it bad with pink-eye...that's just gnarly! I hope you find relief from that soon.

These accounts are fantastic, especially when you're describing the landscape- you make it seem so serene and magical (some places anyway); however, my favorite story is the one where you battle the mischievious monkey with your voice and water bottle- quite an epic moment!

Take care and everyone sends their love!

Sarabella (Kritter Number 2)

02:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should just get some Western advice from your old friend who's a trained eye doctor. Urine in the eye is like a stick in Uranus.

02:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home