Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Everybody Get On the Bus


This last week I changed places again and now I'm situated in a lovely flat north of downtown Montreal.  Only problem is I'm going though serious computer withdrawals!  Those of you with mobile phones have all received text messages to call me on the land line, but some of you have not been as cooperative as I would like...

Yesterday was the full moon and insanity was in the air.  I learned that my offer of employment is no more and if I want to settle into Quebec right and proper I will need to dive right into the selection process for permanent residence, which could take anywhere from 6-12 months.   In the last days I start to feel a little tired of gypsy life.

Nevertheless, the quality of my life is still amazing.  I spend my mornings sipping cafe on the terrasse then jump on my bicycle for my daily adventures.  It's the perfect time of year for picnics in the park and trips to the suburbs to swim and barbeque at Uncle Frank's place.  I also thoroughly enjoy the Grande Bibliotheque, a huge library downtown with hundreds of computers and an incredible music and language collection...

So what's a small problem like no work when life is so quality?  What's a little stress about being perennially homeless?

Last week I painted with Uncle Frank for three days.  Each morning we woke up at 5:30 to suck down breakfast and head out for a full day of painting fun.  On day three we finished in the early afternoon and headed home, stopping at the depanneur (corner store) for some beers (what kind of painter would I be if I didn't appreciate a cold beer when the day is done?).  I ate a huge piece of pizza, drank three beers and passed out, dead to the world at 7:30pm.  

It was great work and hopefully I can get more of it when Frank gets busier in August and September.  In the meantime, I'm struggling with my growing desire to run off to Africa to do humanitarian work.  There are clearly two formidable forces battling it out inside of me; settle down, earn my residence, find work and pursue therapy versus...L'Afrique!   

Now, I am well aware that Africa is not India.  Mother India is my masters degree in how to live quality life and I have at least one year more of study with Mother India in my near future.  But I have also the conviction deep inside that all roads lead to Africa.  That is, whether we get there next year, in ten years, or in ten lives, we are all going back.  So everybody get on the bus.

until next time,
with greatest affection,
Lola la Mariposa 








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home