Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Power of Faith

Today is Sunday. Day of relaxation and fasting. Day of silence and solitude. Day of first Ganga bath!!

To work up the mental strength needed to enter the water I reminded myself again and again that the water was clean, that the water was pure and holy. I gritted my teeth, ignored the floating garbage and unidentified things I was standing on, and managed to walk in up to my knees. Within minutes I noticed a small child of about 4 years screaming and splashing around with real fear in his eyes. He was learning to swim and his father was further out in the river. I quickly jumped in and swam over to him to pick him up. I held him and told him it was okay, his little body shaking so hard!

So no hesitation allowed in Mother Ganga. We must embrace all her parts fully, clean and unclean, with the knowledge and faith that she is pure, she is holy, she is God. God has a plan for all of us. Our job is to be open and ready when the plan reveals itself. The power of faith is very real indeed, and greater than I could have ever imagined…

Within days of my arrival at Kumiko House, I realized what I had come to learn. In Hrishikesh I was free to acquire many things…clothes, “products,” cooking paraphernalia, books, papers, decorations, even furniture (I hate to admit it)…and my companions at the time, being westerners, were completely accepting of my excess, even telling me stories of others who had much, much more. But I knew in my heart that it was not right. I gave away maybe 80% of what I had when I left and still my pack weighed at least 15 kilos!

I also ate regularly in restaurants…in chairs. Now I sit on the floor, eat what I am served, and share my food with ten other people. I am here to learn moderation and humility. I am learning to endure the insects jumping all around, landing on my face and in my clothes. Accepting that electricity is a privilege, and that toilet paper is excess. All the comforts that are considered necessities in the west and elsewhere are now only excess, and I must learn to live without them. This is why I appreciate the opportunity to distance myself from the western mentality. I understand now that western life is a dream world.

And now I noticed my first question from an anonymous commenter, which I will repost here for those of you who are a bit more technologically challenged (talking to you, mom);

“Sorry to crash the party, but I'm curious. The subtitle of your blog, and in fact your entire journey, is devoted to a spiritual quest. So I'm curious...whether you search in a cathedral, a mosque, an ashram or a corpse-sprinkled river, what makes you so sure there's something "spiritual" to seek at all? Whence your conviction that there is more than this brief life in this one world for you to explore and enjoy?”

Ahhhhh, let me say that this is one hell of a first question! I will respond as best as I can, according to my own personal beliefs, which you are free to reject if they are unpalatable.

First, the term “spiritual quest” is confusing, because God is inside all of us; There is no need to search. Human beings are made up of a mind, a body, and a soul. The individual soul is one reflection of God. (In this part of Asia the accepted greeting is “namaste” with both hands together as if in prayer. It is a simple acknowledgement that we are all divine in nature, and a natural way to show respect and love for God.) Unfortunately, many people in the world do not realize they have a soul, and identify only with their mind’s desires (I’m hungry, I’m offended, I’m American, I want a hamburger...etc.etc). These people don’t realize their true nature as divine beings and think that external pleasures will bring satisfaction. But the satisfaction received from external things is only temporary. Lasting peace and satisfaction can only be attained by going inside, reconnecting with our true soul-nature, and learning to love.

Now for the short answer: I know there is something to seek because I feel it. I simply cannot doubt what I know to be true in my soul.

In India, God is everywhere. You see God in the eyes of people all around you, you feel God’s presence throughout the day and see how God is guiding your life every single day. It is impossible to deny the existence of God here. This from a girl who, until two months ago, was unable to comfortably use the term “God.”

Okay, that’s my best shot. I hope it helps. Now it’s time to chelo for afternoon tea...and very soon now it will be time to head to God’s own country, the Himalayas…

Until next time,
With great love and appreciation for all my dear family and friends,
LMA

PS: The coming monsoon has brought temperatures down. Maybe God knows I cannot survive in 40 degrees with 80% humidity?


PPS: I am hoping to post some video on youtube in the very near future. If anyone knows how it can be done, advice is welcome!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Father's Day to Dad!

14:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home