Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Holy Hell

The 24-hour train ride from Dehra Dun to the city of Benaras (aka Varanasi, in Uttar Pradesh) was the easy part. With temperatures hovering in the low 40’s and more humidity than I have previously experienced in my life, I am understanding very clearly what I need to do: adapt and survive.

My arrival here is reminiscent of my arrival in Washington, DC. Both are legendary for their filth (dead rats in the streets, just like DC!), and both represent a complete assault on the mind, body and soul. Our arrival here last night was not unlike being thrown into a wall at 50 miles per hour.

The only difference is that Benaras is the holiest city in the holiest country in the world.

I am travelling with a wonderful guitar player from Osaka, Japan. We are here to play guitar and sing songs on the ghats (the steps down to the Ganga). To explain how this happened is not comprehensible to anyone involved, except to say "when it works, it works."

I am not now able to write more, as it is midday and mental activity is slow. I wanted only to let all know that I am well-cared for and that everything is as it should be. Three months in the relative comfort and convenience of Hrishikesh left me soft, and now my extreme discomfort is another opportunity to become stronger. Here and now I will learn, once again, what it really means to survive.

Thanks to God for always guiding me and protecting me in these challenging times…with love and prayers from the holy banks of Mother Ganga,

LMA

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My God...Lady girl you amaze me more every day...Hang on and don't be afraid to move on if needed. How very proud I am of your constant search for truth...Love Grandma Judie

23:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Las Vegas is now able to keep up with you...we love you!

17:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home