Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Sunday, April 08, 2007

God is in India

Many countries like the US have strict rules to ensure ordered driving. In India, there is no order on the roads. That's why we need God in India. If the people honk at you in the US, you feel bad. If the people don't honk in India, you also feel bad. On the way home last night my friend and I suddenly found ourselves in the path of a charging bull in the main street of Swargashram. I had only a split moment to move out of its way; my friend was not so lucky and the bull trampled his foot. But by the grace of God neither one of us was hurt.

It is becoming more clear that my one-year rule applies to Rishikesh; I simply need at least one year to settle into any new place. My first month here has been a whirlwind of new sensory experiences, so much that all I've been able to do is smile with delight as they wash over me. But the time for some change is coming and, though I don't know what it will bring, I do feel drawn to the nature and away from the tourism. India is many many things, but I think relaxing is maybe not one of them. More nature means more relaxing. Shanti shanti (peace peace).

Rishikesh offers a never ending supply of learning opportunities. At the moment I'm drawn toward learning foot massage (what better service to offer those in pain?) as well as mantra chanting, or the repeated singing of prayers. (Swamiji recommends mantra chanting for those who have trouble meditating. I am one of those people.) I'm very interested in all aspects of the human body from anatomy to nutrition (Ayurveda) and all healing therapies. I've sharply decreased my use of toilet paper and am anxious to acquire a large glass jar for tea making (plastic bottles are a nightmare problem!). I purchased my first sari yesterday and with some luck will find someone to teach me how to tie it. The heat is slowly becoming more unbearable and I am covered in bites by all kinds of insect-like creatures. I find that lemons are a wonderful resource; I use them for flavoring the water, cleaning the sink and cleaning myself. I may also venture out to a beauty parlour soon just to see what kinds of treatments they offer...perhaps waxing or massage? My western needs are slowly being replaced by natural ayurvedic treatments. Every day is a new opportunity to learn how to do things more simply and more naturally. No mirrors, no hair conditioner, no matter.

It is difficult to convey just why India is so great to one who has not been here. The culture here is not only a little bit different, it's a lot different. It can be remarkably uncomfortable, disgusting, overwhelming, frustrating. But none of this matters because God is here, in the shining eyes of your neighbor.

love and light to all,
with BIG hugs and kisses,

LMA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home