Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

My time here in Veracruz has passed much too quickly. Already I am preparing for my return to the inferno known as Washington, DC, followed by a short visit to my homeland in California.

Last Monday I experimented with some foreign dental care, with decidedly poor results. Without getting into the messy details, I’ve determined that I will not likely seek foreign dental care again unless absolutely necessary.

Adding insult to injury, I missed the “visita domiciliar” (home visit) that was held at my tios’ home while I was off dabbling in foreign medical care. The visita domiciliar is a ritual wherein family members and members of the church arrive at the home of a family, singing songs of love and devotion and playing guitars. They proceed to install a small shrine to the Virgin Mary, followed by praying the rosemary (a skill I have only just acquired) and singing more songs in tribute to the family. The ritual is intended to ensure the health and well-being of those living in the home. La Virgen (la visita) stays for about a week, and during that time the family unites every day to pray the rosary. yesterday I led the fourth Misterio Doloroso.

While I am not technically a religious person, I am always open to learning opportunities, and as it happens, here I have the opportunity to learn about Catholocism. Not only is it an exceptional educational opportunity, but I feel a sense of satisfaction from learning a bit of the culture of my heritage. I feel more integrated as a person.

Wednesday I traveled two hours north to Xalapa, the capital city of Veracruz. Considering that I have a number of relatives living there, and that I have been visiting Veracruz now for six years, it is inexplicable why I have never visited it before.

Xalapa is, in fact, an adorable city with plenty of cultural and educational opportunities. I went for a day trip to the well-renowned Museum of Anthropology, which is housed in a remarkably serene building with expansive halls of marble (?) floors and filled with large stone figures and other objects from ancient civilizations. The Olmecs are one of Mexico’s mysterious ancient native civilizations who inhabited the region that is now Veracruz, and I must say, I am nothing less than captivated by the huge heads of stone they produced. In the entrance of the museum sits a huge stone Olmec head with a typically wide, flat nose. The sensation of standing near one of these heads is something that can only be felt. I felt awe.

I traveled to Xalapa with a friend of my cousin, and while at the museum we noticed an older German couple. I admit, it was exciting to see Germans. We decided to say hello to them when we noticed they were sitting outside the museum skimming through a guide book. They spoke little Spanish, and my companion spoke little English, so I became the translator. Working as a team, we helped them find a hotel and they gave us a ride. I mentioned that I was en route to India, and they just happen to finance an orphanage there.

Anyone who knows me knows that I love me a win-win situation. We exchanged email addresses, and they invited us to Germany. Little do they know that I’m the one person who just might arrive! These are the moments that I live for, the brief but resounding connections with others on the trail of life. Just because they are brief does not mean that they are now real, lasting connections.

After an enlightening afternoon came an abrupt and unwelcome surprise: camping! We unwisely decided to stay in Xalapa overnight and, then, se fue el tiempo. I’ll just say is it was a long, sleepless night. But all’s well that ends well. And besides, in India I can say goodbye to all creature comforts. Goodbye toilet paper, goodbye soap, goodbye beds and toilets.

Once again, I'm out of time and must run! Hugs for everyone and I'll see you soon,

LMA

“Courage is resistance to fear; mastery of fear – not absence of fear.” - Mark Twain

Official Birthday Countdown: 265 Days

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ola my little mexican grandchild...I am so missing our times together even if they are only phone visits. So very sorry that the dentist was,what I assume,brutal. You are my sunshine, and now it is so cold. I am preparing for my little trip and I know it will not be near as exciting as your adventures are. We will have much to share on our next face to face...Love Always

11:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the rosary, not rosemary - like mexicans are praying to the Regulator.


See you soon.

V

22:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home