Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Monday, January 08, 2007

La Luna Sigue Llena en Mexico

After yet another tumultuous holiday season, I marked the beginning of the new year in the narco-traffickers’ paradise known as Culiacan in the Northern state of Sinaloa, where leather cowboy hats abound and the main tourist attraction is seafood. They say the most beautiful women in Mexico come from Culiacan, but I can assure you the same is not true for the men. And while I have witnessed some questionable driving skills in places like Mexico City and India, I was even more afraid for my life in Culiacan, where we had a number of scary near-misses only to finally get rear-ended on the last day.

Two buses and 16 hours later, I arrived in the completely picturesque town of Guanajuato, a.k.a “the geographic center of Mexico,” where some of my fellow Americanos are studying Spanish. It has been nearly ten years since I was here, and yet it s exactly as I remember it. The state of Guanajuato is one of the richest states in Mexico and the city (also called Guanajuato) is nothing less than adorable, with lots of foreign students and tourist to keep the local economy humming. Unfortunately, my digital camera died before I came here, so there will be few, if any, pictures to share. While I’m here I plan to see the mummies (which I missed the last time around) as well as partake in some good tequila. Being located next to Jalisco, a tequila-producing mainstay, Guanajuato is a good place to stock up!

For those who aren't in on The Plan, my arrival in Mexico officially marks the beginning of my 30th birthday celebration, where the gift is a year of travel. I'll be aiming to update this blahg on a weekly basis during that time, so stay tuned for more adventures!


LMA

Official Birthday Countdown: 292 days left

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home