Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Monday, June 26, 2006

Whether it's the Pet Shop Boys or a fine Swiss Gruyere, I love cheese


I could have and should have made myself useful this weekend by shopping for groceries and cleaning hairballs out of the bathroom, but instead I hung out at a place called the "Lucky Bar," watching the world cup and learning to drink beer. I discovered that I am much more motivated to actually drink beer when 1) they cost $5.50 apiece, and 2) they are combined with gorgeous, sweaty men built like horses running around in circles on a futbol field. Today I had two in a row, and when I stumbled out into the daylight after the Netherlands lost to Portugal 1-0, I felt a real sense of accomplishment, not to mention a nice buzz.

Now it’s four AM and I can’t stop wondering why futbol isn’t more popular among my countrymen. I mean, what’s NOT to love about those gorgeous, sweaty men built like horses running around in circles on a futbol field? I tried American football in the past, to no avail (an ex-BF once presented me with season tickets for the SD Chargers. To be nice, I actually tried to figure out how it all worked. I gave up by the third game, and suffered through the rest by popping pain pills, which actually worked quite well).

But futbol really does have it all: international rivalry, intense emotions, bitter controversy, beautiful players, and simple, easy-to-understand rules for play. Is it really such a deal breaker that the US doesn’t have the number one team?

After the game ended, I accepted an invitation from a friend to have wine and cheese (who can turn down wine and cheese?) in Capitol Hill, whereupon I ended up drinking another two (three?) glasses of red wine. Everything was just dandy, or so I thought, until about an hour ago when it came time to pay the piper. I've been lying in bed wide awake for the last hour, trying to remember why I thought it was a good idea to drink so much. I’ve decided to blame the cheese.

You see, whether it's the Pet Shop Boys or a fine Swiss Gruyere, I love cheese. And it just so happens that cheese goes quite well with red wine. And it just so happens that in America, more is better. Unfortunately in this case, I think maybe more is not better.

Brain dead and signing out,


LMA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home