Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Settling in Quite Nicely Indeed

Rishikesh is a haven for people who want to take good care of their health. Who knew?

Every morning I have 2 hours of yoga, usually followed with a big bowl of fresh fruit, muesli, and curd (yoghurt) with honey on top. At a dollar, it's ëxpensive", but it's damned good. Soon I plan to begin preparing my own muesli delight at home in my ashram, as well as teas, salads, veggies and other yummy things.

Inevitably, my previous standards of personal hygiene have been compromised. I bathe with warm water from a bucket about every three days. I noticed that I have a new scent; no longer of perfume but of a wholly natural sort. It doesn't seem to go away even after I bathe, and I have accepted it as my new smell.

India is filled with all kinds of strong smells, some more difficult to appreciate than others. Incense, all kinds of delicious foods, garbage, huge piles of cow excrement and various types of urine, mangy dogs and cats, cows, monkeys, other people are always contributing to an ever-evolving sensory experience. I believe I have adapted well, as I do not often complain about stinky things.

In another bit of luck, I managed to get a room in the ashram with my own eastern-style toilet. Eastern-style, which is basically a toilet bowl in the ground, is more natural and much easier on the body. Unfortunately, after two weeks I continue to use toilet paper, though I am using less and less. The main motivation being that trash receptacles are rare and it is a hassle to figure out where to put trash after you've made it. The extremely simple lifestyle here forces me to be 100% aware of each and every bit of trash I produce...gum wrappers, plastic bags, toilet paper, wrappers, etc. etc.

Enter: Fresh Fruits

Fresh, inexpensive and ridiculously delicious fruit and veggies abound and any unwanted peelings can be conveniently tossed to the nearest cow, who immediately slurps up every bit. Voila, no trash! The papaya is first rate, bananas, fresh peas (YES! I can buy a large bag of FRESH PEA PODS for 10 RUPEES! Twenty cents! Two pesos! Fresh peas!!!!!!). I am even honoring the local culture by feeding the cows, who are sacred. I do believe that is yet another win-win-win situation..

Daytime is the perfect time to acquire a nice, big ripe papaya (about a dollar) and find a nice rock overlooking the banks of Mother Ganga. Often there are people on the other side building wooden funeral pyres. We watch silently from our side of the river as the pyre erupts into flames. I have felt tempted to snap a picture, but it would be wrong. I realized I have never had the pleasure of living next to a beautiful river before, and a pleasure it truly is. The water is clean and the breeze is both peaceful and energizing.

Every day it is getting hotter and hotter. Soon most of the western tourists will head north to cooler climes and Indian tourists will fill the streets (already my image is captured on the cameras of more than a few Indian tourists..) The fly and mosquito count has jumped since I arrived and summertime here promises to be a challenge of the will. In the meantime, I am watching my body and spirit slowly being transformed by daily yoga, a peaceful environment and wholesome food. The wide variety of intelligent, interesting people from all over (Europeans mostly, Indians, Americans, Japanese..) is just the stimulus I needed, and when it is time for quiet, I read my books or sit and watch the monkeys.

Yes yes, the monkeys are another delight; although at times I have been quite scared. As long as you don't get too close to them or look them in the eyes, or show your teeth, or deny them any foods you happen to be carrying, you should have no problem. So far I have noticed two kinds of monkeys, big grey ones with black faces and white tufts of fur around their faces (VERY VERY cute) and smaller brown ones that for some reason seem a little more gangsta (VERY cute). They don't seem to mix much.

Both my yoga teacher and my Ayurveda teacher are kind and compassionate men. I am grateful to have connected with them so quickly. Through them I am seeing that good teachers are patient, kind, and compassionate people, which is exactly what I aspire to. In this way both of these men are the mentors I have been seeking. In addition to pursuits already underway, there is talk of an organic farm nearby where they teach and practice various methods of sustainable farming (permaculture).

You can call it dirty, crowded, stinky, hot, hippie, or whatever you want. I call it serendipity.

Love, light, and especially, big hugs for all,

LMA

PS Pictures of my commode and other details are forthcoming!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home