Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Search For Purpose in Cyberland

I do apologize for having undeniably neglected this blahg. Even though it was borne of the bowels of waste and pointlessness (IIE), I want it to serve a purpose.

Admittedly, I have difficulty giving this blahg a purpose, partly because I am hung up on who actually sees it. I know a couple of people in my head who are definitely reading this, but there are others…others who are impossible to know, forgotten acquaintances, electronic eyes or otherwise… I find this slightly unnerving. Indeed, I find the cable modem slightly unnerving so I unplug it whenever the computer is off.

But I think it can be generally assumed and accepted that an action that serves a purpose is better than a pointless action. And from the perspective of evolution, it seems to me that the best I can do is just share what I’ve learned from my grave, bubble-headed errors. That is, just in case any of my less experienced brethren have the occasion to stumble across my musings.

Say No To Sloth

The events of the last year have taught me that, while the ability to compromise is a critical tool for evolution, not all compromise is equal.

For example, some of the jobs I’ve accepted in life have been bad compromises (the IIE most recently and relevantly). Bad compromises are made when fear is the motivating factor. Fear can take a myriad of forms: desperation, anger, depression, self-pity, greed, sloth…. Working at this place made me respect myself less (I could have avoided the entire situation with a simple no thank you). Good compromises are compromises motivated by positivity (confidence, faith trust…etc.)

Of course, as limited human beings, we will always experience fear (though it is certain to lessen as we evolve). The key is to acknowledge it without making decisions to satisfy it.


Unamerican moral of the moment: If we don’t act on it, then fear will eventually shrivels up and die.


Carpe Diem!



LMA



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home