Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

It's an Elephant Party!

Turns out Sauraha is THE place for elephant fun. Every morning around 9am a procession through town begins (I'm watching them now) as elephants make their way to the river bank to have their daily bath. I was initially drawn to Sauraha with intentions of swimming the Rapti River, but I was unprepared for the crocodile situation...

The locals do not recommend that I swim in the river as dogs and other unfortunate mammals are often consumed by hungry crocodiles. Luckily, there is one exception; I can swim in the river as long as I am accompanied by an elephant, making bath time the perfect opportunity since there are five or six elephants bathing at the same time.

With elephants regularly strolling the streets of Sauraha, I have the opportunity to become familiar with their ways and I can now add elephant craps to my repertoire of crap identification skills. Elephant craps are huge, greenish, and straw-like. Much more attractive than cow and water buffalo craps.

Besides elephants and crocodiles, there are plenty of rhinos, tigers, wild boar and other intimidating animals roaming the jungles of Chitwan. But their close proximity is enough for me. I have no need to enter the jungle to find them.

It's time to join the procession!

all my love,
LMA





1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fun! Sounds like you're in a Ruyard Kipling novel... less the British Empire, of course.

Have you seen any tigers yet?

Vince

12:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home