Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Une Victoire Historique: President Obama Goes Global

Not content to simply call the election result, I got a little bit cocky last night and predicted 350 electoral votes for President Obama...

What a thrill to wake up this morning and see 349 electoral votes in his column! We were told it was a ''mandate'' when George skimped by the first time around, but what we have here today is a real mandate folks, a global mandate.

The most significant and electrifying part of President Obama's victory speech was that he not only spoke to and for the American people, he showed the world that he is aware of his role as a global leader by addressing them, too;


''And to all those watching tonight from beyond our shores, from parliaments and palaces to those who are huddled around radios in the forgotten corners of our world – our stories are singular, but our destiny is shared, and a new dawn of American leadership is at hand.

To those who would tear this world down – we will defeat you. To those who seek peace and security – we support you. And to all those who have wondered if America’s beacon still burns as bright – tonight we proved once more that the true strength of our nation comes not from our the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals: democracy, liberty, opportunity, and unyielding hope.

For that is the true genius of America – that America can change.''



Congratulations, everyone! Last night was a huge step in the right direction and we have all earned that deep sigh of relief. The worst may be yet to come, but now we at least have a shining light to guide us through it. Has there ever been a better time to be a proud American?


always,
LMA





4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only time I have ever felt this much hope in my country was when JFK said "It is not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your contry."

Congradulation to the United States of America...

13:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

8 years of my life have been run by George Bush. Being only 21, that is a significant portion of my life. It was also during his time as president that I really began to grow, think for myself, and process the world around me. The world around me and the country we had become has been depressing and distressing. I never really had anything I felt truely proud of and certainly nothing I felt I could own in the decisions for "progession". For the first time I feel proud to be an American. We spoke and we spoke loudly and clearly about who we wanted. We chose the man who for the first time is bringing us together through hope. It's an exhilerating feeling to have been able to be apart of this experience and I am grateful that I recieved this opportunity. Here is to change and the repairing of trust and faith we lost in our government.

00:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, 21. Who are you? I'm so glad to hear your voice. You are the hope of us all.

19:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there 21 the best is yet to come...

13:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home