Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Saturday, October 13, 2007

A Random Rishikesh Encounter

Rishikesh, and specifically Ram Jhulla, is a spiritual city that pulses with the vibrations of only the strangest people. The other night, as I walked home in the relative peace of the deserted streets, there suddenly appeared a petite woman dressed only in flowing white robes. We walked together and she told me she was originally from South Africa but living in the mountain for many years. She spoke about various things in a rambling manner until it was time to part. Then she stopped to face me, closed her eyes and, after some minutes, began to speak. She told me she felt very strongly that "a being" was trying to "snatch your heart." She told me also that I should never, ever curl up in the fetal position, that I should breathe softly and always keep my stomach and chest open. But the two comments that really stuck in my mind, and kept me up for most of that night went like this; She said that I do not need another spiritual being to provide me with answers (i.e. a guru, a swami, a more evolved person...), that the day will come when I will understand everything very clearly on my own. And the last thing she said to me was that I should be gentle with myself. She assured me that we would meet again and then, as quickly as she appeared, she was gone.

All I can say is, this is the stuff of Rishikesh. Whatever is special about this place, it cannot be quantified. All I know for sure is that in Rishikesh I am closer to God. I feel the divine nature of all things as clearly as I feel the rain. If you are the sort of person with even one iota of self-perception, please consider a trip to this place. It changes the lives of all who come...

Random thought: How is it possible for me to be here almost two weeks and only now, on my last day, I am finally visiting Swamiji? I went to his lecture today and the first thing he told me was that my face was shining. He then asked whether there were any "idiots" in my life (by idiots, he refers to men). I replied "too many," and he told me to "chuck them out."

Speaking of "chucking them out," my (ex) prospective groom requested a final meeting with me last night in order to fully ascertain that I was not available for marriage. I assured him it was not in the cards, he paid me some remarkable compliments, and the next day he was on a train to Lucknow to interview the next prospect. Now we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief...

Tomorrow I'm off to Delhi for more waiting and more confusion. Expect regular updates about nothing, as I hope only to continue my daily yoga practice and perhaps learn some Hindi with the maidservant. Oh and I've been handed a rather entertaining book called "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari" in case anyone is interested in an easy and uplifting read.

Biggest hugs ever,

LMA


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha. Swamji sez, 'give 'em the boot!'

Biggest hugs back.

-Vince

15:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Vince.
Mom

20:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you may or may not be aware, I watch over you on your journey. You may see me at times as I do not hide from you. My friendship and love knows not the time of day nor the distance between us for those things are not real (as you are probably learning). I look forward to my night-time, your day, as I get to watch you on your daily adventures...continue to enjoy them to the fullest and do watch for me as I am there.

Love,

What about...?

04:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home