Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Friday, July 01, 2005

IT’S A JU-LY HIGH

Well the end of the week is arrived; today is Friday and it promises to be, well, much like the four days leading up to it. I’ll start my morning off easy, you know, check my email, blahg a little, go get some water…then back at my desk I’ll shuffle some papers (to indicate that work is happening) before I settle into the “news.” Lucky for me, we maintain a strict policy of “don’t ask don’t tell.” You don’t ask me what I’m doing and I won’t tell you there’s nothing to do.

Okay, maybe I exaggerate a little. Since I came here four months ago there have been at least four different days that were extremely busy. But right now everyone’s on vacation. That leaves just me and my expressionless co-worker. That’s right, not only do I work in a place that could be a mausoleum (silent, cold, proper, silent), my only co-worker does not speak or make expressions with her face. Feels a lot like the twilight zone.

…when the boss is in, we be busy translating his chicken scratch. When he be out, we be enduring time. Yes, this type of environment will, over time, corrode the psyche. That’s why I plan to follow the universal wisdom eloquently expressed by The Steve Miller Band: Take the money and run. I’ve got 11 months to experience this unique if not exactly pleasant city called Washington DC. Then I’m taking my money an runnin.’

To counter the effects of Wednesday’s diatribe, I’m going to tell you what I like about my life. With America hitting full spin in the toilet, it’s harder and harder to feel good about being here. But instead of worrying about depressing things I can’t control, I’m going to highlight the positives. For me, one big positive is the community swimming pool I walk past on my way home everyday.

A free community swimming pool with dedicated hours for lap swimmers every workday. What else could a girl ask for? In my view, this pool is the godsend that is going to help me get through my “DC experience” with a smile still on my face.

I meet people at the community swimming pool. For example Kin, the very enthusiastic Asian man I’ve met a few times now. Kin is very excited about lap swimming, and whenever I see him he launches into an energetic, “I feel great! How many laps did you do? That’s great! Keep it up!” sometimes accompanied by a strong, friendly slap on the arm. Admittedly, the arm thing is not easy to appreciate. First of all, it’s always a bit of a shock when you’re simply not used to being touched by people you meet. Secondly, the force literally throws me off balance. Third, I become suddenly and acutely aware that my upper arm is reverberating like Jell-O. This is something no woman ever wants to be aware of. But Kin doesn’t mind; he has only one thing on his mind. “I love swimming! I did 90 laps today! I feel amazing!”

I like Kin because there are few people in DC with his kind of energy. The lifeguard at my community swimming pool said he’s been in DC for a year “and they’s a lot of angry people.” He says he’s here for the income and has just decided to make the best of it. I agree with him. I’m going to try to make the best of it. I’m not going to let these miserable people suck me under. How’s that for inspiration?!

Ciao Bella

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home