Name:
Location: Bissingen an der Teck, Baden Wuerttemberg, Germany

Laughing all the way...

Monday, June 29, 2009

The Sweetness of Life is Devotion


Pilgrimage to Gomukh: 250 km (150 mi.)
5-23 June, 2009

We left for the unknown only three weeks ago, but it might as well have been three months. How can I possibly offer a glimpse of my last weeks to you with mere words? How can I fit a thousand stories into a few paragraphs?

We left Rishikesh a group of three: me, Atsushi and Koji (both Japanese). After two days we met three babas from Manali and the six of us walked together for four days. At the hot springs in Gangnani, we had a chance meeting with Alex (German) and he walked with us for several days until a sprained ankle took him off the trail. Two days before we reached Gomukh, Koji turned back for health reasons. That left me and Atsushi to reach our final destination.

A journey inspired by my strong connection to Mother Ganga, it was at turns difficult and exhilarating. I had moments of inspiration and moments of real fear. Almost everything I saw and experienced was new. We reached Gomukh on the 8th day, but my own adventure was just beginning..

It was somehow inconceivable to ride a bus back to Rishikesh, so in the last five days I found myself traveling alone with our three babas and their dog named Baby. We slept on concrete floors in temples and ashrams, ate whatever was offered and bathed in Ganga when possible. My female status was an awkward fact for all involved, to say the least.

Babas are wandering Hindu monks...
but I am too exhausted to write this story now...it could take weeks to unravel and is simply too far from the world I come from.

For now I'll just share a few things I learned:

I discovered that I can walk. I discovered that I am strong. I discovered that it is difficult to be a woman in a man's world, and worse if you are a single one. I learned how to make quick decisions and to fully utilize my intuition. And I proved, once again, that human beings are truly able to adapt to anything. And that necessity is a powerful motivator.


. . .


I'll let the pictures do the talking. All I can say for sure is that walking is what I am supposed to do right now, and after a few more days rest here in Rishikesh, I will pack my bag and set off for another adventure into the unknown.

Jai Shri Ram,
LMA

PS My cousin sister Cristina is on her way to Peru and has a blague of her own now...you can read her impressions of Rishikesh and follow her adventures here.





Day 1 on the road and still smiling.


Water sources were often sporadic and dodgy, but this one was first class.

First night: I took a room (the boys slept in the bus stand) and was adopted by a
huge Indian family from Madya Pradesh. They fed me strange Indian concoctions
and kept me up all night with questions.



Koji and Atsushi's room for the night: the local bus stand.


Indian road signs are a delight; frequently inspirational, they also make an effort to rhyme!
This one is unique because it has no spelling errors.



Ganga Mataji inspired us every step of the way.


Walking on the road is rough going. I often felt we were like cockroaches when the
busses and jeeps flew past spewing black exhaust fumes. But we refused to die.



We stumbled upon this magnificent statue of the goddess Kali standing on Lord Shiva's chest.
Kali is the full-power Goddess of destruction.



We walked with our babas for four days.
Pictured here is me and Premnath Baba (about 30 years old).



More inspiration. More rhymes. More spelling errors.


We have a photo with one Indian family we met in Gangnani.
Westerners from L to R: Alex, me, Atsushi, and Koji
.


There are many small Shiva temples on the way, as well as hairpin turns on the road.


We take a break on the side of the road and our babas make chai!


Another break, after one "shortcut" that took us up straight up one mountain.


One of my favorites...


A detour from the road took us to this baba house, where we met a baba couple (Kali babas, dressed in all black and covered in holy ashes (vibuthi)). They have been living here for ten years.


Walking walking walking!


We were truly giddy with excitement when we realized
we had only six km left before Gangotri..


And then only five..!


And then, with only two km left, we met Koji again, sleeping on the side of the road.
We had to leave him two days before as he was striken with severe diahrrea.
Unexpected reunion is so sweet !



During the last leg of the trip (Gangotri to Gomukh, 20 km), we climbed 1,000 m
and the scape turned to rocks and mountain goats.



Eureka! The source of Mother Ganga, a hole in a massive rock at elevation 4,000 m. Atsushi took bath, but five seconds in the water and I was numb, so I contented myself
with songs and prayers instead.



I hold Baby and say goodbye to Atsushi on the morning I set out alone with our babas.


Guruji, a.k.a. Rajendranath Babaji, 67 years old and our leader.
He often scolded me for laughing and smiling too much.


A welcome break for chai.

We called it the baba guest house, a small stone structure on the side of the mountain
where we could sleep.



An ashram where we stayed two nights. The resident baba (Swami Girijanand Saraswatiji) was very kind to me; he gifted me bangles and shawls and allowed me to sleep in the kitchen (even reminding me to lock the door!). I slept there with rats and other insects, and even woke to find one june bug in my panties. Unforgettable.

Ganganath Baba, the lowest on the totem pole (i.e. servant to us all), in the morning sunshine at a magnificent Shiva temple where we spent our last night.

Panchampuri Baba, sitting with his Guruji, had a magnificent smile, which was not captured in any picture. In fact, most babas will not sit for any pictures.

A rare opportunity to be photographed in a temple with Panchampuri Babaji.
Frequently I was instructed to hide myself.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're pictures are amazing. I am glad you had a good time. Thank you again. India was amazing and I am really glad I got to experience a part of your world.

Cristina

16:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

I am regular visitor of this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here lolabitesback.blogspot.com. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. Are you really serious about your weight?. Recent Research displays that nearly 80% of all United States grownups are either obese or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am author of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.

08:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home